Reading is a good habit. Young children should be encouraged to read more at early stage. Some parents find it hard to get their children to read because their children are attracted by the television programs and computers.
I am here to share with you some practical tips which you can apply so that you can get your young children to read more.
• First thing first, being parents, you are “responsible” to read with your children at least once every day. You should accompany them when they are reading. Don’t just give instructions to them. If your kids do not like a book you are reading together with them, you should put it aside. Don’t force your kids to accept the book.
• Besides accompanying them, you should be a reading role model to your kids. Let them see that you always read. It will be better if you can share some interesting things with them. Tell them what you have read from the books, magazines or newspapers.
• Young children enjoy reading books which come with colorful pictures and simple words. Hence, you are reminded to select the right reading materials for them. You should take note about your children’s interests. At the same time, you must make sure that you children have plenty to read at home. It is important for you to keep books and other reading materials in their reach.
• In order to encourage your kids to read, you must respect their choices. Do not set any limitation to them. Let them choose their own books based on their preferences. At the same time, you should take the opportunity to encourage your kids to try different kinds of books such as fiction, non-fiction, mysteries, biographies, etc. If possible, you should choose books that provide new experiences about different countries and cultures for them.
• You should find ways to motivate your children by praising them for their efforts. You are advised to listen to your children when they are reading. You can encourage them to read aloud. Then, you should start praising them for the newly acquired skills.
• Some young children refuse to read at the beginning stage. What you can do is to tell interesting stories to them. You are advised to look for creative ways to teach them good values so that you can help them to develop listening and thinking skills easily.
You love your children. You want them to have better future. Cultivating a lifetime reading habit will be the best gift you can provide for your beloved children.
Jesslyn Jessy A blogger with wide interest in training and personal development. She strongly believes that competency skills are essential for a fast changing world. Besides, she also focuses on human health which is inter related to working performance. http://jessyanglo.blogspot.com/